Board Meeting Minutes
Oakdale Business Association Board Meeting
May 18, 2012
Members present: Bill Burns, John Larson, Marc Cove Rick Timm, Holly Koep, Jack Buckley, Kim Duitsman, Staci Penn, Tony Schwartz, Jack Burke, Ben Smetana, Ted Lillie, Frank Orsello and Angie Propp
In the absence of Dan Rude, Bill Burns called the meeting to order.
The minutes from the April meeting were reviewed. A motion was made by Amy Brown to accept the minutes as presented and was seconded by Tony Schwartz. The motion passed unanimously.
The upcoming golf tournament was discussed and Angie Propp needs people to call for golfers. Angie will email the members with names and asks that all members make calls.
Egg’s N Issues was discussed and we have 2 senators and 2 representatives committed for the panel.
Amy Brown updated on Summerfest on June 21st – 24th. She needs some volunteers from 1-4 and 4-8 on the 21st for help with the parade. Please email Amy if you have any interest.
Jack Burke presented the board with the Treasurers Report. We currently have $10,179 in the checking account, $14,816 in the savings account. Of these funds $7,500 has been set aside for the Holiday Helping Hands. The Gold Plate dinner brought in $4,910.
Bill Burns presented a membership update with one possible new member.
Frank Orsello indicated that no speakers are needed until the August meeting due to the picnic and the Discovery Center meetings. Marc and Frank are working on the August speaker. Google for business will be the presentation at the September meeting. They will talk shortly during the meeting and have a longer session after the meeting for anyone interested in staying.
Marc Cove updated on the June picnic. Everything is in place and he will send out a request for volunteers shortly.
Jack Buckley indicated that he had 2 openings for the July meeting.
Staci updated the board on the scholarships. Five scholarship winners were in attendance at the May meeting. Staci shared her frustration with the May meeting as she had asked each recipient to prepare a short speech, and had her routine as to how they would present them. Because of the way the introductions were made and that all candidates were asked to approach the stage as a group instead of individually, the kids and Staci were caught off guard and the kids did not have the opportunity to give their speeches. Staci apologized to the kids and the parents for this, but felt it was important that the board understand her frustration with the process. The question was then asked “Do the committees run their committee or do we want the President to do this?” This should be a topic for a future meeting.
Staci also indicated that she is looking for a volunteer to help with the award ceremony at Tartan on May 30th and North on the 4th. Please let Staci know if you are interested.
Ted Lillie indicated that there was nothing new on the political front. A question was asked on endorsements for this fall’s elections. Ted indicated that procedures are in place for this to take place as necessary.
John Larson updated the board on the 350 project. The group met last week and decided to start a focus group to include small business owners to evaluate if this is working and possible incentives to join the group. If anyone is interested in this focus group, please let John know.
Marc Cove gave an update on the Yellow Ribbon and indicated that the OBPA and the Yellow Ribbon are hosting a Root Beer both at Summerfest. Marc also indicated that he is working with the City to purchase a banner system to be installed on Hadley. Business owners would have the opportunity to donate and have their business name along with the Yellow Ribbon displayed.
Craig Waldron was not in attendance, but had passed out his update before the meeting.
A motion was made by Kim Duitsman to adjourn the meeting at 12:55 p.m. and was seconded by Tony Schwartz.